May 31, 2013

Selamat Tinggal, Surabaya

My bags are all packed and in one hour I'll be leaving for the airport to go to Makassar, where I'll be right up until I go home on Tuesday. While I'm excited to see my old friends in Makassar, it will be really hard to give my final goodbyes to my host family here in Surabaya. I know that I will be back to Indonesia, that this isn't goodbye forever, but I know I'm still going to cry. I've been able to give them little things from back in the States, like Cubs t-shirts, magazines and photographs of Chicago, but how do I show my gratitude for the selfless compassion they showed me for inviting me to live with them for nearly four months? Ever since graduation last year, I've been giving a lot of goodbyes, and each time it never gets any easier. 
But, being in Makassar for my last couple days in Indonesia will be a lot of fun, especially since the other exchange students there are also leaving June 4th like me. I think I can make it through three days without sleep...  

Sampai jumpa, Surabaya! Inshallah


This statue/fountain stands in the central part of the city of Surabaya, which represents the legend as to how the city of Surabaya was created through an ancient battle between a shark and a crocodile. 

No comments: