Feb 15, 2013

Selamat Tinggal, Makassar









I had an incredible final week living in Makassar. When I found out that I would have the opportunity to move to Surabaya for the remainder of my exchange in Indonesia I eagerly accepted the offer as a chance to explore a whole new island and city, but I didn't really realize at the time that that meant saying goodbye to the island, Sulawesi, and the city of Makassar that I've grown to love and call home. 
So, naturally, I made sure I spent every single day this past week seeing all of my friends and family in Makassar, having a (few) pisang epe snacks sold by the beach from my favorite street vendor that aligns his cart amongst fifty others along the boardwalk in town, visiting my favorite mosque here at sunset- Mosjit Rhaya, visiting my host mom's village in the mountains one last time and drinking a couple glasses sarraba, a spicy ginger-coffee-brown sugar combination you can only find in South Sulawesi, with my two host families that I've had in Makassar. 
Cheers to new adventures in Surabaya! I leave for the airport in a few hours. Wish me luck! I'll admit I'm a little nervous about getting there, a new island/city means introducing myself to a new host family and making new friends all over again, but I think it won't be too long before I know my way around. Hopefully. :)

I'll be sure to post soon when I get a chance after I've settled-in a bit in Surabaya! 

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
 "Remember that happiness is a way of travel, not a destination." - Roy Goodman


No comments: