Nov 17, 2012

What's swag?

This morning, when my host sister was listening to a Justin Beiber song, she asked me what 'swag' was. 

This kind of thing happens all the time, and sometimes I forget just how ridiculous it sounds. I was listening to 'Party Rock Anthem' with my friends in my room, and they all wanted to know what 'shuffling' was. Times like these are when I really wish there was another American to laugh about these things with me. 

I was at the mall the other day with my host sister and I saw a christmas tree in the window of a book shop, and I was surprised at how instantly homesick I became. It's crazy that next month is Christmas, though, and I'm still not sure what I'll be doing that day over here but I'm sure the other exchange students and I can come up with something  to do that day. If all else fails I can just download Home Alone and Elf and buy a few dozen packs of hot chocolate. 
I've also had a really, really hard time deciding what to do for college next fall. I thought being so far away from home, my friends and family and any other distractions would make it easier to decide where to go to school but I'm still stuck in the same place I was last Fall. Oh, well. I could always just sail to one of the thousands of uninhabited islands of Indonesia that's got enough coconut and banana trees and live there. Just kidding. Sorta. 

But anyhow, my new host family really is amazing. It's been a bit of an adjustment, having four younger sisters at the house always trying on my clothes and always wanting me to do their hair and paint their nails, but I love it. The house is a bit different than my old one, and now every morning I boil my own drinking water for the day and there's no maid at the home to help with laundry or cooking or anything but I really enjoy staying where I am right now. Every morning to get to school, instead of having a driver take me, I sit on the back of my host sister's motor scooter and speed in and out of traffic to make it to our first classes. 

I lost the charger to my camera when I moved families (I know it's at the house somewhere...) but I promise to include a lot of pictures in my next post. 

Happy almost Thanksgiving, everyone! 

No comments: